Request for Pilot Project Applications 2015
Proposals are requested for projects that address one or more of the research themes of TAMNORC:
- Adipose tissue immunometabolism and obesity-associated chronic diseases
- Nutrient and intestinal inflammation during obesity
- Liver nutriphysiology during obesity
- Regulation of energy balance by nutritional intervention and physical activity
- Proposals are due October 6, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
- Based on NIH NORC P&F award guidelines, investigators eligible for P&F funding generally fall into three categories: (1) new investigators without current or past NIH research support as a program director/principal investigator (current or past support from other federal/non-federal sources should have been modest); (2) established investigators who are new to the nutrition/obesity field and wish to apply their expertise to a problem in this area; and (3) established investigators in nutrition/obesity who propose testing innovative ideas that represent a clear departure from ongoing research interests. It is expected that the vast majority of the investigators will fall into the first category.
- Applications will include: 1) Face page document (see attached) that includes a list of collaborators (if applicable) and an abstract of the proposed work that includes significance, innovation, specific aims, and approach, 2) a 4-page NIH Biosketch for the PI showing current funding, as well as funding from all sources over the last 5 years, and 3) a 2 page proposal.
Proposals will be peer reviewed externally and scored on:
- Scientific merit and relevance to the aims and objectives of the Center (60%)
- Potential for attracting external funding (25%)
- Potential for developing novel research, collaborative interactions with Center members and for utilizing Core Facilities (10%)
- Potential to attract new faculty to the Center (5%)
- The maximum budget is $25,000/year for up to 2 years (based on progress towards goals after the first year and funding availability). No salary support is allowed for the PI or other faculty-level scientists. At least 50% of the awarded funds must be used to support research activities, with no more than 50% being used for salary of students, post-docs or technical staff.
- Initial project reports must be submitted 6 months after the initiation date. Subsequent/terminal reports must be submitted at the end of the funding period, or the end of the first year (whichever is sooner). Reports must include a description of results, description of how research cores were utilized to achieve the goals, list of presentations/publications derived from the work (and that acknowledges TAMNORC support), and description of external proposals submitted or in progress that utilizes these results as part of the preliminary data in support of the proposal.
- Up to 4 projects may be funded, contingent upon funding of the TAMNORC proposal by NIDDK, or allocation of funds from internal sources.
- The proposal should clearly state Hypothesis, Specific Aim(s), and Research Strategy including methods, with reference to how the facility cores will be used.
- The proposal, including figures and charts if applicable, should be no more than 2 pages, with minimum 0.5” margin, with Arial font, at size 11.
- The proposal needs to include no more than one additional page for references cited.
Proposals should be submitted to: Nancy Turner at firstname.lastname@example.org